Driveway Ordinance Changes:
Changes were adapted to Section 29-179 of the criteria for Residential Driveways Ordinance on August 15. These changes, summarized below, will provide more flexibility to property owners.
• A reduced driveway setback is now allowed if the required setback causes an existing driveway to be less than ten feet wide.
• The driveway width definition was changed from “no more than” to “proportional to” the width of the garage doors. The code now permits homes with single car garages the flexibility to have a wider driveway, accommodating an additional parking spot.
• The maximum width and length of a flare out was increased; now there are specifications for tapers. Homes with single car garages can have their flare outs closer to the property line, accommodating an additional parking spot.
• The requirement for flare outs to access third and fourth stalls of a garage has been removed.
• The maximum width of the side yard extension has been increased to 12 feet, and the maximum length is extended to 30 feet.
• A new limit was set for secondary driveways on corner lots to encourage second curb cuts.
If you have any questions or would like clarification about any of the changes, don’t hesitate to call (319) 273-8600. A pictorial information sheet illustrating the new driveway code will be available at City Hall and www.cedarfalls.com.