Salt/Sand is provided by the city for residential use. Salt/sand can be obtained from one of the many conveniently-located sand barrels throughout the city as listed below or at the Public Works complex at 16th & State Streets. Sand barrels are placed in November each year and filled with a salt/sand mix. The barrels are checked and refilled as necessary throughout the winter and removed in the spring when it has been determined that they are no longer beneficial. Sand usage is restricted to Cedar Falls residents only and quantities are limited to two 5 gallon buckets.
Barrels are located at:
- CEDAR HEIGHTS DRIVE: Cedar Heights and Rainbow Dr.
- PARRISH ST: Corner of Parrish and Grand Blvd.
- PICTURESQUE DRIVE: Dead end
- NORTH ELLEN STREET: N. Ellen and Highway 57
- OAK PARK BLVD: Oak Park and Highway 57
- MAGNOLIA DR: Next to Thunder Ridge Mall (Between Hwy 57 and the Mall entrance)
- LAKEVIEW DRIVE: Lakeview and Highway 57
- STANLEY STREET: Stanley St. and Highway 57
- SHIRLEY STREET: North end by the radio station
- NORTH UNION RD: 1/4 mile North of the viaduct
- SKYVIEW DR: Near Skyview Dr. and Union Rd.
- PANTHER LANE: Panther Lane and University Ave.
- 800 BLOCK OF MAIN ST: (School crossing, East side)
- HIAWATHA RD: Hiawatha and Lone Tree Rd.(Northwest
- HEARST CENTER: Parking lot
- PARKING LOT G (COLLEGE HILL): Base of the steps for
the walkway to W.23rd
- W. 18TH STREET: Intersection of Hudson Road (East side)
- ERIC ROAD At Hudson Rd. (Northeast corner)