Two candidates have been announced as finalists for the position of Cedar Falls Fire Chief. The Fire Chief hiring process began in early March 2023. The City received 11 total applications for the position. Following a Civil Service review period, Chris Ledeker and John Zolondek have been selected as the finalists.
The hiring list will be received and filed by the Cedar Falls City Council on May 15. The finalists will complete additional interviews involving City management, local emergency management officials, community members, and co-workers in mid-May. There will also be a public meet and greet event which is expected to take place May 22 and 23. Additional details on that event will be released in the upcoming weeks.
The Director of Public Safety is expected to make a recommendation to the Mayor and City Administrator in late May with a planned appointment by the City Council in early June. The City will continue to keep the community updated on the process.
- Master's Degree in Public Administration / Public Management, Arkansas State University
- Fire / EMS Chief, Arkansas City Fire Department (Kansas): 2022-2023
- Fire Chief, Holiday Island Fire Department (Arkansas): 2020-2022
- Fire Chief, Bethel Heights Fire Department (Arkansas): 2017-2020
- Firefighter, Paramedic, Training Officer, Fire Lieutenant, various fire and EMS organizations (1995-2017)
- Certifications: Firefighter, NR-Paramedic, Fire Officer, Fire Instructor, Fire Inspector
- Master's Degree in Criminal Justice – Saint Ambrose University
- Military Police Officer, United States Marine Corps Reserve 2002-2008; Combat Veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom
- Firefighter, Winona Fire Department (Minnesota): 2006-2007
- POC Firefighter, Lieutenant, Captain, Acting Fire Chief, Cedar Falls Fire Division: 2008-2022
- Police Officer, Investigator, Public Safety Officer, Cedar Falls Police Division: 2007-2018
- Certifications: Iowa Peace Officer, Drug Recognition Expert, Firefighter, NR-EMT, Fire Officer, Fire Instructor, Fire Inspector