During the Cedar Falls City Council meeting on January 6, 2020, the council voted to appoint an individual to the vacant At-Large position. The appointment nomination took place during the council meeting on January 20, 2020, at which time the council voted to appoint Nick Taiber to the At-Large seat.
On January 29, 2020, the City of Cedar Falls received a petition requesting a Special Election to fill the vacancy. This was filed without objection. According to Iowa Code, the City Council must call for a Special Election, and they did so by adopting Resolution 21,889 at the City Council meeting on February 17, 2020. This makes the appointment of Taiber temporary until the results of the special election are canvassed.
The date of the special election is determined by the Black Hawk County Auditor/Commissioner of Elections. They have received the Resolution from the city and released the following information regarding the special election:
- The special election to fill the At-Large city council position will take place on March 24, 2020
- The deadline for candidates to file in the Elections Office is February 28, 2020 (Regular Election Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM)
- Candidates need 162 signatures to place their names on the ballot
The polls will be open from 7:00 AM until 8:00 PM on Election Day, March 24. Voting is limited to those voters who reside in the City of Cedar Falls.
Black Hawk County will be utilizing vote centers for the City of Cedar Falls. Vote centers are polling locations that combine multiple precincts, allowing voters to choose at which location to vote. This election will have five vote centers in Cedar Falls. The locations are listed below:
CEDAR FALLS VOTE CENTERS
- ST. JOHN LUTHERAN CHURCH, 715 College Street (upper level)
- BETHLEHEM LUTHERAN CHURCH, 4000 Hudson Road
- CHURCH OF CHRIST, 2727 W. 4th Street
- CEDAR HEIGHTS COMMUNITY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, 2015 Rainbow Drive (lower level)
- TRINITY BIBLE CHURCH, 125 Orchard Drive
For questions, contact the Election Office at 319-833-3007 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The location is Room 210 of the Black Hawk County Courthouse, 316 E. 5th St, Waterloo, 50703.