Planning and Community Services
What We Do
- Prepare long range development plans for the city, including development of a comprehensive plan and land use maps, and also administer and enforce the city's zoning ordinance.
- Review all building permit applications within the city to insure that new construction or building renovations comply with zoning regulations which control such issues as building setbacks, on-site parking, signage and floodplain regulations.
- Work closely with the City Planning and Zoning Commission on a variety of issues such as long range planning, property rezoning, subdivision plats, and other planning and development issues. Manage the Cedar Falls Board of Adjustment, which considers variance applications from individuals who are seeking relief from zoning ordinance regulations.
- Manage and provide staff support to the Housing Commission, Historic Preservation Commission, and Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee.
- Manage and provide staff support to the Group Rental Committee and Board of Rental Housing Appeals. Review applications for rental permits.
- Manage the Staff Technical Review Committee, which reviews all major applications for development throughout the city.
- Administer the Community Development Block Grant program and Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8 rental assistance).
- Manage various long range planning and capital improvement projects, such as community visioning, active transportation planning, City Code revisions, streetscape projects, river improvement projects
- Manage and regulate development in the floodplain, maintain CRS rating, and administer hazard mitigation grants
- Planning staff serve as City liaison to various community organizations, including Community Main Street, College Hill Partnership, and the North Cedar Neighborhood Association.
- Many of the Planning Division activities require close coordination with the Inspection Services Division and the Engineering Division.