- Administers the city's annual Pavement Management Program, which is a $3,000,000 responsibility funded through a one-cent local option sales tax.
- All residential subdivision plans are reviewed for certification so that all public improvements have been completed in accordance with city specifications.
- Grants permits and inspects all sidewalk and driveway construction work.
- Oversees the quality of all new street construction done by private contractors. This includes asphalt and concrete pavement construction, storm drainage installations, and sanitary sewer repairs.
- Provides liaison with private consultants hired to design other highway and bridge projects within the city.
- Reviews plans and specifications, monitors project progress, answers public inquiries and organizes public meetings.
- Storm water detention plans for all commercial construction sites are also received and approved.