Automated Yard Waste Collection Information and Schedule
The City of Cedar Falls offers residents a voluntary yard waste collection program. The city provides brown yard waste carts that are collected on Mondays. Residents are charged $10 each time the cart is emptied. The months of April, October, and November a reduced fee of $5.00 is charged.
Yard waste carts are outfit with radio frequency identification tags. This tag has a unique number which is assigned to a specific address. Each time the cart is serviced, the date and time are recorded. The service fee is then added to the user’s monthly utility bill.
April, May, June, October and November, carts will be picked up every Monday. July through September, carts will be picked up every other week (See Schedule). Collection times may vary due to the amount of yard waste placed at the curb. From December through March, collections are scheduled on a call-in basis. Residents should call 273-8629 to schedule a pickup for the following Monday.
2023 July–September Schedule
July 3rd, July 17th and 31st
August 14th and 28th
September 11th and 25th
Exceptions to the Collection Schedule
No Monday yard waste collection on: May 29th and September 4th
Fall yard waste collection
Carts will be collected as often as possible from October 30 through November 10th, 2023. A $5.00 collection fee will apply.
Collection Guidelines for Yard Waste Carts
- Cart must be placed for collection by 7:00 a.m. and removed by 8:00 p.m. the same day
- If your cart is missed, please call 273-8629 prior to 10:00 a.m. the following Tuesday to ensure collection.
- The weight limit of yard waste carts is 250 pounds.
- Please do not put dirt or sod in the yard waste carts
- Do not place hot ashes into the yard waste cart. Homeowner will be responsible for a replacement of cart.
- Leave 3’ feet between other carts or any other object
- Please do not pack your yard waste carts too tight, this makes it difficult for the trucks to empty the carts.
- The yard waste cart should be rinsed out periodically to reduce odors and remove stuck materials.
- Carts must be set out for collection with the arrows facing the street.
Yard Waste Bags -Paper biodegradable yard waste bags are accepted at the transfer station or at the compost facility.
Yard waste may be taken to the Transfer Station in any type of container during regular hours. There is a nominal fee of $0.75 per bag or $29.50 per ton. A $7.00 minimum charge applies to bulk quantities under 400 pounds. Mondays are designated as yard waste only.
Items Considered to be Yard Waste
Tree Debris—Brush, vines, logs, shrubs, leaves, and twigs.
Garden Debris—Fruits and vegetable waste including melons, corn cobs and plant waste.
Yard Debris—grass clippings, lawn rankings, weeds, ornamental grasses, house plants and flowers
Compost Facility Hours
April – November Open daily 7:30 am–dusk
December – March: Facility open weather permitting.
There is no fee for yard waste disposal at the compost facility.
The Compost Facility is located at the 300 blk of North Main Street. This facility is for use by Cedar Falls residents only.