Applications and Forms
Below are the various applications accepted by the Planning and Community Services Division. Click here for a fee schedule. These forms can be submitted to or at City Hall. If you have questions please feel free to call 319.273.8606:
- Building Permit Application: A building permit is necessary for any work on a property in Cedar Falls. Exceptions to obtaining a building permit includes painting, wall papering, carpeting or other similar jobs. If you think you need a building permit, please contact the Building Inspections Division at 319.268.5161.
- College Hill Partial Property Tax Exemption Application: For partial tax exemption on improvements made to residential use properties in the College Hill Urban Revitalization Area submit this application.
- Land Use Permit Application: Residential properties including new construction, additions, fences, driveways, garages, and the like will need this permit. In addition, a Building Permit and Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (prior to new home construction) may be required. Information sheets are provided for common questions, illustrating what is permitted.
- Movable Sign Permit Application: Sidewalk signs are allowed downtown and the College Hill Commercial District. A permit is necessary. Signs must be either next to the storefront of next to the curb, leaving at least 5' of public sidewalk.
- Group Rental Application: Any new rental property wishing to rent to three to five (3-5) unrelated individuals must obtain a group rental permit first. The permit will allow a specific number of unrelated individuals to occupy a rental unit. This is not transferable to a new owner.
- Facade Review Application: Submit this request for grant funding on exterior renovations and sign improvements to commercial properties located in the College Hill Business District or Downtown Overlay District.
- Rental Conversion Application: Submit this request for the potential of a Forgivable Loan up to $10,000 for improvements to a residential rental property being purchased and converted to a single family owner occupied residence. For more information on this program, view the Rental Conversion Single Family Tri-fold.
- Rezoning Application: When seeking to change a property’s zoning this application applies.
- Right of Way Vacation Application: A property owner may submit this application if he/she wishes to purchase a portion of the public right-of-way and make it part of their property.
- Site Plan Application: Applies to commercial, multi-family, or residential (in an overlay district) property, when new construction, additions or redevelopment are proposed. In addition, a Building Permit and SWPPP (prior to new home construction) are also required.
- Sign Permit Application: New or replacement sign(s) must obtain this permit.
- Subdivision Application: Dividing a property must be reviewed. There are various levels that need different information. See specific checklists below.
- Minor Plat Checklist: Site will be divided into three or less parcels and no new roads are needed.
- Preliminary Plat Checklist: Site will be divided into four or more parcels and new roads are needed.
- Final Plat Checklist: Follows preliminary plat approved and creates lots that can be sold. It can be a smaller portion of the Primary Plat.