Items Considered to be Yard Waste
Automated Yard Waste Collection
Beginning July 1, 2013 yard waste cart collection will increase from $7.00 to $10.00 per dump.
- Shrubs cut up
- Bushes cut up
- Root balls
- Fruit Peelings
- Tree seed pods
- Hickory nuts
- Hedge apples
Vegetable Garden Debris
- Tomato plants
- Bean vines
- Raspberry or strawberry plants
- Corn and corn husks
- Vegetable peelings
- Grass clippings
- Lawn rakings
- Ornamental grasses
- Garden and house plants
The City of Cedar Falls offers it residents the opportunity to participate in an automated yard waste collection program. The city provides brown yard waste carts to residents to use. This program is not mandatory and residents are charged $10 on a per dump basis. There is no fee or deposit to have a yard waste cart. All yard waste must be in a brown yard waste cart in order for the city to collect from curbside on Mondays.
Each yard waste cart has a radio frequency tag attached to the front. This tag has a unique number and is assigned to a specific address. Each time the cart is dumped, the tag is scanned with a date and a time stamp. A fee of $10 is added to the resident's utility bill each month. There is no monthly fee to have the cart.
The city collects yard waste at curbside on Mondays from April to November. Collection will vary due to the amount of yard waste placed at the curb. If your yard waste cart was missed on Monday please call the Public Works office by noon on Tuesday. December through March residents must call 273-8629 to schedule a pick up for yard waste. Residents can call after hours with their address to schedule a pick up for the following Monday.
Yard waste carts must be kept for one year. If you decide you no longer need your yard waste cart before the one year requirement you will be charged a $20 fee. We are unable to deliver yard waste carts just for the free collection months.
Yard Waste Carts
Yard Waste Bags
- Cart must be curbside / alley by 7:00 am
- Do not to over pack your cart-Limit 250 pounds.
- Please do not put dirt, sod, or ashes in the yard waste carts
- Leave three feet between other carts or any other object
- Please do not pack your yard waste carts too tight, this makes it difficult for the trucks to empty the carts completely.
- Do not place hot or warm ashes into yard waste cart. If cart is melted or burnt homeowner is responsible for buying a new one.
- Grass leach ate / ooze will stain your driveway, sidewalk or patio if it is not hosed off immediately.
- The yard waste cart will smother grass. In between collections, set yard waste cart on a paved, cement or gravel area, patio stone, or in a flower bed.
- The yard waste cart may smell if stored in an enclosed area. Consider leaving the yard waste cart outside.
- The yard waste cart should be rinsed out periodically to reduce odors and remove stuck materials.
- It must be set out with the arrows facing the street.
- Yard waste bags are to be used as a supplemental collection method during the free collection period only which is the last full week of April and first two full weeks of November.
- Bags will not be collected any time other than the designated free collection period.
- The weight limit for paper biodegradable bags is 40 pounds.
- Leave three feet between other carts or any other object.
Yard waste may also be taken to the Transfer Station in any type of container during regular hours.
The City of Cedar Falls Fire Rescue Burn Ordinance
Effective January 2004, the City of Cedar Falls implemented a new burn ordinance. Residents may no longer burn leaves or grass within the city limits. If you have any questions regarding this ordinance please contact the Cedar Falls Fire Rescue at 273-8622
There is a nominal fee of $0.75 per bag for yard waste deposited at the Transfer Station.