Go To Search
Click to Home

Winter Fire Safety Tips
Cedar Falls Fire Rescue, The United States Fire Administration and the National Fire Protection Association recommend following these safety tips to prevent winter home fires:

• Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food.  If you leave the kitchen for even a short period, turn off the stove.
• Space heaters need space; keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from each heater.
• Check electrical cords often and replace cracked or damaged electrical or extension cords.  Do not try to repair them.
• Never use your oven or stovetop to heat your home.  They are not designed for this purpose and can be a fire hazard.  In addition, carbon monoxide (CO) gas might kill people and pets.
• Do not put your live Christmas tree up too early or leave it up for longer than two weeks.  Keep the tree stand filled with water at all times.
• Avoid using lighted candles.  If you must use candles, place them in sturdy candleholders that won’t burn.
• If you smoke, use only fire-safe cigarettes and smoke outside.