Storm Water Program
Overview Federal & State Requirements
The Clean Water Act, enforced by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program, was designed to control water pollution throughout the United States by regulating point and non-point sources that discharge pollutants into the waters of this nation.
The Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) is charged on the state level to enforce the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's NPDES stormwater regulations through a permitting process.
Cedar Falls Requirements
The City's NPDES program consists of six main components.
- Public Education and Outreach on Storm Water Impacts
- Public Involvement and Participation
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Construction Site Storm Water Runoff Control
- Post-construction Storm Water Management
- Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping
Cedar Falls Construction Requirements
Many types of urban activities can directly impact the health of Cedar Falls surface waters. Local developers, contractors, subcontractors, and their crews can adversely impact water quality by not properly planning ahead to keep dirt, debris, and other waste materials away from storm drains and local waterways before, during, and after construction activities. Federal law, now implemented by Cedar Falls, mandates that those who undertake construction activities provide pollution protection at their construction sites.
As a requirement of Cedar Falls' NPDES Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit (in 2003), an approved Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) must be obtained from the City of Cedar Falls Engineering Division using Best Management Practices (BMPs) implemented prior to any construction activities that will disturb one (1) or more acres and for construction activities of any size within a larger residential development.
The SWPPP approval and inspection process are designed to prevent stormwater pollution to the maximum extent possible and ensure that all Cedar Falls construction activities comply with the NPDES General Permit #2.
- Construction Site Erosion & Sediment Control Ordinance No. 2595 (.pdf)
- Illicit Discharge Detection & Elimination Ordinance No. 2570 (.pdf)
- Storm Water Management Program Ordinance No. 2569 (.pdf)
- NPDES Permit No. 07-09-0-03 for the City of Cedar Falls (.pdf)
- NPDES Permit Amendment (.pdf)
- Post Construction Stormwater Control Ordinance No. 2718 (.pdf)
Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) Information
- Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) Application (.pdf)
- Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) Application (MS Word Document)
- SWPPP Winter Attachment (.pdf)
- SWPPP Winter Attachment (MS Word Document)
- Co-Permittee NPDES Application (.pdf)
- Co-Permittee NPDES Application (MS Word Document)
- Site Plan (.pdf)
- Construction Erosion
- Concrete Brochure
- New Options for Concrete Washout
- Wheel Washing Options Information
- Flow Transition Mat
- Iowa Stormwater Management Manual
- Iowa Statewide Urban Design & Specifications
- Iowa Construction Site Erosion Control Manual
- Certification Statement for Transfer Permittee
Residents and Businesses
Watersheds and Assessments
The following link is a storm water pollution prevention report form to be used by the public to file a complaint. By reporting storm water, erosion and runoff problems, you can help prevent pollution from entering our watershed. Your report may be submitted by phone at (319) 273-8668 or at (319) 273-8606.