Cedar Falls Fire Rescue, The United States Fire Administration and the National Fire Protection Association recommend following these safety tips to prevent winter home fires:
• Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period, turn off the stove.
• Space heaters need space; keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from each heater.
• Check electrical cords often and replace cracked or damaged electrical or extension cords. Do not try to repair them.
• Never use your oven or stovetop to heat your home. They are not designed for this purpose and can be a fire hazard. In addition, carbon monoxide (CO) gas might kill people and pets.
• Do not put your live Christmas tree up too early or leave it up for longer than two weeks. Keep the tree stand filled with water at all times.
• Avoid using lighted candles. If you must use candles, place them in sturdy candleholders that won’t burn.
• If you smoke, use only fire-safe cigarettes and smoke outside.