Cedar Falls Recycling Center
The Recycling Drop Off Center is located next to the Transfer Station on the 1500 block of State Street.
Recycling Center Hours:
7 am–6 pm (April–October)
7 am–5 pm (November–March)
Saturday 8 am–3 pm
Items Accepted at the Recycling Center
All containers should be clean.
- Cardboard, Newsprint, Magazines, Office Paper
- Tin Cans
- Clear and Colored Glass
- Plastics #1–7 & Plastic Grocery Bags
- Cooking oil without food residue is accepted only at the 15th Street site
- Phone Books (accepted May–August)
- Styrofoam is accepted only at the Main Recycling Site at 15th and State, Panther Parkway and Greenhill Village remote sites. Packing peanuts must be bagged.
Items accepted at the Transfer Station for a $10 fee:
- Washers & Dryers
- Stoves & Microwaves
- A/C units
- Water heaters & Water Softeners
- De-Humidifiers & Humidifiers
- Refrigerators & Freezers
- Dishwashers & Garbage disposals
- Computers $7.50 fee
- Televisions (console/box) $7.50 fee
- Tires: Car/Small Truck $2.50 off rim, $5 on rim; Truck/Tractor $6.50 off rim, $9 on rim
Electronic Waste Recycling
VCRs, stereos, DVD players, vacuums, fax machines, home phones, video game systems, handheld electronics, record players, hair dryers, curling irons, countertop appliances, lamps, treadmills, space heaters, holiday lights, cable/satellite equipment, fans and cables are all accepted at the recyling center on State Street. Most items with a cord are recyclable. Call 319-273-8629 with questions.
View Our Recycling Brochure
Household Recycling Remote Sites
- Panther Pkwy on UNI Campus
- Point West
- Fareway on Magnolia Dr.
- Wind Grace Community off S. Main St.
- Greenhill Village at 4507 Algonquin Dr.
- Water Reclamation at 309 E. 4th St.
- Orchard Hill Church at 3900 Orchard Hill Dr.
All sites are operational 24 hours a day, except for the main site at 15th & State Sts.
Please note: Help us keep the drop sites clean! Recycling sites are on private property. Illegally placed items creates not only a nuisance, but also involves extra staff time for clean up. Please place items in their proper places to ensure property owners continue to allow these sites to remain available. Illegal disposal is considered a municipal infraction; call the police if you see someone dropping off items illegally.
Examples of illegally placed items:
Unless otherwise noted, all items from the above list are accepted at the remote sites.
Items Not Accepted
Oil Bottles, Gas Cans, Aerosol Cans, Chemical Containers, Wrapping Paper
Florescent Bulb RecyclingThe City does not recycle fluorescent bulbs at this time.
Asphalt Shingle Recycling
The City of Cedar Falls now recycles asphalt shingles at the Transfer Station. Materials such as wood, tin flashing and other debris must be separated from the shingles. Allowable items include shingles, nails and felt paper. Brief documentation of the source location will also be required. Cost is $40.00 per ton.
Recycling for Special Events
Recycling equipment for special events is now available from the Black Hawk County Solid Waste Management education team, Waste Trac, at 1500 Bluff Street in Cedar Falls. Equipment is free to use. A refundable deposit and application are required. VIsit WasteTrac.org for more information.