- Public Works
Cedar Falls Recycling Center
The Recycling Drop Off Center is located next to the Transfer Station on the 1500 block of State Street.
Recycling Center Hours:
7 am–6 pm (April–October)
7 am–5 pm (November–March)
Saturday 8 am–3 pm
Items Accepted at the Recycling Center
All containers should be clean.
- Cardboard, Newsprint, Magazines, Office Paper
- Tin Cans
- Clear and Colored Glass
- Plastics #1–7 & Plastic Grocery Bags
- Cooking oil without food residue is accepted only at the 15th Street site
- Phone Books (accepted May–August)
- Styrofoam is accepted only at the Main Recycling Site at 15th and State, Panther Parkway and Greenhill Village remote sites. Packing peanuts must be bagged.
Items accepted at the Transfer Station for a $10 fee:
- Washers & Dryers
- Stoves & Microwaves
- A/C units
- Water heaters & Water Softeners
- De-Humidifiers & Humidifiers
- Refrigerators & Freezers
- Dishwashers & Garbage disposals
- Computers $7.50 fee
- Televisions (console/box) $7.50 fee
- Tires: Car/Small Truck $2.50 off rim, $5 on rim; Truck/Tractor $6.50 off rim, $9 on rim
Electronic Waste Recycling
VCRs, stereos, DVD players, vacuums, fax machines, home phones, video game systems, handheld electronics, record players, hair dryers, curling irons, countertop appliances, lamps, treadmills, space heaters, holiday lights, cable/satellite equipment, fans and cables are all accepted at the recyling center on State Street. Most items with a cord are recyclable. Call 319-273-8629 with questions.
View Our Recycling Brochure
Household Recycling Remote Sites
- Panther Pkwy on UNI Campus
- Point West
- Fareway on Magnolia Dr.
- Wind Grace Community off S. Main St.
- Greenhill Village at 4507 Algonquin Dr.
- Water Reclamation at 309 E. 4th St.
- Orchard Hill Church at 3900 Orchard Hill Dr.
All sites are operational 24 hours a day, except for the main site at 15th & State Sts.
Please note: Help us keep the drop sites clean! Recycling sites are on private property. Illegally placed items creates not only a nuisance, but also involves extra staff time for clean up. Please place items in their proper places to ensure property owners continue to allow these sites to remain available. Illegal disposal is considered a municipal infraction; call the police if you see someone dropping off items illegally.
Examples of illegally placed items:
Unless otherwise noted, all items from the above list are accepted at the remote sites.
Items Not Accepted
Oil Bottles, Gas Cans, Aerosol Cans, Chemical Containers, Wrapping Paper
Florescent Bulb RecyclingThe City does not recycle fluorescent bulbs at this time.
Asphalt Shingle Recycling
Beginning July 1, 2022, the City of Cedar Falls Transfer Station located at 1524 State Street will no longer accept clean shingles for recycling. Shingles may be accepted for dumping at the Transfer Station if the load is less than 500 pounds.
Anything over 500 pounds must be taken to the Black Hawk County Landfill at 1509 East Washburn Road in Waterloo for disposal. Please contact the landfill at (319) 296-2524 with any questions on accepted items.This new policy is in compliance with Department of Natural Resources rules for areas that fall within the 100-year flood plain. As the area below the Transfer Station is within the 100-year flood plain, materials must be stored in portable containers. Due to this, there are no viable storage options for large quantities of shingles.